Sunday, July 12, 2009

Daily Activity Log

Monday, July 6:
I woke up at 9:00 and took a shower. Afterwards I caught up on all of my laundry for the week, which consisted of two loads. While the washing machines were running I took the opportunity to finish up all of my reading for this week’s classes. At 12:45, I went to class. After class, I returned to the dorms and picked up some mail that I received from home. I spent the next few hours in my room napping. At 6:45, I joined up with others for a tour around “Shakespeare’s London”. The tour was fascinating, with several interesting sites including the Clink prison, the monument to the fire that burned London, and others. I returned to the dorms around 10:30 and went to bed at 11:00.

Tuesday, July 7:
I woke up at 10:00 and began working on some homework. At 11:00 I met up with a friend and went to the British Museum. The museum had several interesting exhibits, from Aztec artifacts to sculptures from ancient Greece and Rome. We spent several hours in the museum, including 45 minutes for lunch at the museum’s cafĂ©. The food was quite good, and also surprisingly affordable. At 3:00 we left the museum and went to a comic book shop and a large PC store. We returned to Astor at 4:30 where we spent the rest of the afternoon comparing the function of my Dell PC to my friend’s Apple Macbook. At 7:30 I finished up the reading response paper for tomorrow’s class, and spent the rest of the night surfing the web until bed.

Wednesday, July 8:
Today was my 21st birthday. I woke up at 10:00 and took a shower. I then got online and did some classwork for about an hour, and spent the rest of my time watching the Onion News Network. At 12:45, I went to class. After class, I went to Subway and picked up a foot long sandwich to serve as my lunch/dinner for the evening. When I returned to Astor College, I met up with a friend and went to Tesco where I picked up some more food essentials, including Diet Coke and potato chips. On the way back, I stopped in a bakery and picked up a cupcake in celebration of my birthday. At about 6:00, I went with two friends to get their Britrail passes validated. I then spent the rest of the evening finishing up some work and surfing the web, until 10:00. At 10:00, I walked to the Goodge Street tube station with a friend and picked up a paper. We got back about 10:30, and I went to sleep for the evening.

Thursday, July 9:
I woke up at 8:00 and got ready to leave for the day’s field trip. At about 9:40 we left for Euston Station where we then traveled to Bletchley Park. Bletchley had many interesting exhibits, including a rebuilt version of the Colossus computer, a museum on the history of computing, and several other exhibits on WWII. We took a guided tour around the museum, and the guide had many interesting stories to tell. At about 12:50, we ate lunch at the park’s cafeteria, and then spent the rest of the time wandering around the exhibits. At about 3:40, we boarded the train back to London. Upon returning to Astor College, I took a shower and surfed the web until I went out to dinner with friends at 7:30. We then returned to Astor where we had some cake in celebration of my birthday. I went to bed immediately after returning.

Friday, July 10:
I woke up at 7:00 and prepared to leave for the trip to Oxford. We left at 8:00 and traveled to Oxford by train via Euston Station. We arrived in Oxford about 10:00, and stayed there until about 4:00. Oxford was an interesting city, and it was interesting to see several of the colleges that make up the famous university. The trip was perhaps more enjoyable for Harry Potter fans, as several scenes from the movies were filmed in Oxford. We returned to London at about 5:30, where I picked up some dinner and spent the rest of the night relaxing in my room.

Saturday, July 11:
I woke up at 6:00 and prepared to travel to York with friends. We left at 7:20 and traveled to York by train via Kings Cross Station. We arrived in York at about 10:00, and stayed there until 5:00. York was fascinating. We took a guided tour of York Minster, and spent about half an hour walking the medieval wall that surrounds the city. We spent the majority of our time simply wandering the streets and taking in the atmosphere. We ate lunch in a pub at about 1:30. At about 2:30, I purchased a souvenir keychain made from a recycled PC motherboard. We returned to London at about 7:00, where I ate dinner and spent the rest of the evening in my room relaxing. I went to bed at about 10:30.

Sunday, July 12:
I woke up at 9:30 after an uneventful night of sleep. I spent most of the day in my room catching up on schoolwork. At about 1:30, I went out for lunch. At 6:30 I ate dinner. I went to bed at about 12:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment